How to Make Buttery Instant Pot Cabbage
This Recipe is about Buttery Instant Pot Cabbage. But first, I want to let you know what Buttery Instant Pot Cabbage is and how it can benefit your life. Buttery Instant Pot Cabbage is an easy way to make delicious cabbage that tastes like buttery mashed potatoes without the carbs or gluten (if you use gluten-free ingredients). You will love this recipe for Buttery Instant Pot Cabbage because not only is it simple, but also inexpensive and healthy.
With the recent cold weather, I’ve found myself craving comforting dishes like my Mom’s cabbage soup. The way it simmers for hours on end and then bubbles up when you take that first sip is pure bliss.
Happier days are here again because this easy recipe can be done in just 30 minutes from start to finish – perfect if dinner needs something extra tasty but doesn’t have much time available before guests arrive or your family gets back off their lazy butt 😉
My mother and I are both big fans of Instant Pots. Past year, I got her one, and she’s become addicted to it. This means we’ve converted a lot of our family recipes to Instant Pot versions.
Instant Pot cabbage is a no-fail dinner. This delicious, buttery dish takes minimal time and effort while relying on pantry staples that you probably have on hand right now. You’ll be wondering why you didn’t cook cabbage this way all along once you try it.
This page contains affiliate links. When you purchase through links on this site we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. This helps us provide free content for you to enjoy.
What Makes This Recipe So Special?
- Do you want to take a break from all that stirring? When I feel like cooking doesn’t give me enough time, it’s nice knowing there’s an easy way out. Enter: Instant Pot Cabbage. This method for buttery tender cabbage couldn’t be easier – just add everything into the pot and push some buttons on your IPad/phone of choice (I prefer my phone), then 15 minutes later YOU’LL HAVE A PERFECTLY COOLED SIDE DISH THAT YOUR Family WILL LOVE THIS WINTER.
- Cabbage is a powerhouse of nutrients. It packs vitamin A, iron and magnesium to name just few. With its high fiber content, it’s not only good for your waistline but can help keep you healthy in many other ways as well – from fighting inflammation down the road or providing protection against free radicals that cause aging skin damage. The output should be: CABBAGE IS SUPER NUTRIENT POWERHOUSE WITH ITS CRAFTED FROM THE PLANT WORLD HENCE ALL OF THIS PLUS SODIUM AND POTASSIUM SO YOU GET FIVE MINERALS IN ONE MEAL.
- Cabbage is a great low carb option for Lean Cuisine. It goes perfectly with the traditional corned beef and cabbage combo, or you could even mix some into your favorite sandwich. Apart from that it pairs well with smoked sausages in many different dishes – especially those involving pork, turkey or chicken meat.
Tips from the Chefs
- If your Instant Pot is large enough, you can definitely double this cabbage recipe. Just don’t overfill the cooking pot with ingredients and try not to change any other instructions in regards to time. If there are two of us making dinner, it’s always nice when we get more food since everyone loves leftovers.
- I used a variety of spices to give this soup an extra punch. I began with salt and pepper, then added thyme for depth before settling on oregano as my final flavor component – it really made all the difference.
- You can use whatever spices you have on hand, just make sure they’re good ones. A little garlic goes a long way.
How to Prepare Cabbage in an Instant Pot Pressure Cooker?
- Wash the cabbage head in cold water
- Cut into four quarters, cut out the thick stem in between, and then use a sharp knife to slice it in thin strips
- Place the cabbage on top of the rack in your Instant Pot pressure cooker
- Fill with water until just below where you want to close lid
- Close lid carefully (remembering to press “Manual” or “Pressure Cook”), pop up valve (pop-up button), lock lid firmly 6. Set timer for 6 minutes; after 6 minutes, quick release pressure by moving valve at side away from steam for 5 seconds
- Peel back foil/lid carefully and remove cabbage using tongs. It should be very tender and easy to slice with a sharp knife.
How long does it take to cook cabbage in a pressure cooker?
That will depend on what you’re going for. If the goal is a softer, moister cabbage that’s not too mushy then I recommend 6 minutes of cooking time but if crispy isn’t as high priority and 4 would be enough to achieve desired texture with this dish- reduce those timings accordingly. My pressure cooker takes about 15 minutes from start (15 psi) finish up until it reaches cooking pressure at which point everything should cook smoothly without any additional guesswork required by me or my readers.
Can I sub ingredients?
Yes. You may make it vegetarian by replacing chicken broth with vegetable broth. Add extra vegetables, such as carrots or thick sliced potatoes, to the mix.
How to Make Buttery Instant Pot Cabbage
Buttery Instant Pot Cabbage
- Slotted spoon
- Instant Pot
- 1 medium cabbage
- 1 small onion
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (make sure butter cold)
- 1 tbsp salt
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth or chicken broth
- To the Instant Pot, add sliced cabbage and onion.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cold butter, kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, and chicken broth. Stir once or twice quickly, then close.
- For 7 minutes, set the Instant Pot to Manual High Pressure. Allow 5 to 10 minutes for the Instant Pot to build pressure before starting the cooking process.
- When the Instant Pot is done cooking, carefully release pressure. Remove cabbage with a slotted spoon and transfer to serving bowl or platter.
- Stir the cabbage mixture again. Remove the cabbage from the pot with a slotted spoon and add salt and black pepper to taste, if desired.