Penne pasta is a type of Italian pasta that is made from durum wheat. It is named after the quill, or penne, which is used to write. Penne pasta can be made with different ingredients, but this recipe uses chicken. This dish is simple to make and can be served as a main course or as a side dish.
This penne pasta recipe is the perfect dish for a quick and easy weeknight meal. It is packed with flavour, yet simple to make. The best part about this recipe is that it can be easily customized to your liking. Whether you want to add more vegetables or use a different type of pasta, this recipe is versatile and delicious. Give it a try tonight and you’ll see why it’s one of our favourites.
Why You’ll Love penne pasta recipe with chicken
- Quick and easy to make
- Great for busy weeknights!
- Tasty, creamy sauce made with just a handful of ingredients
- Great way to use up leftover chicken
- Vegetable variations are endless.
How to Make It easy simple recipe for penne pasta
Step 1 Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
Step 2 In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add in chicken, garlic and onion; cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through.
Step 3 Stir in cream cheese, milk, and Parmesan cheese. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 2 minutes or until slightly thickened.
Step 4 Add pasta to skillet. Toss to coat with sauce and serve.
Step 5 Top with parsley if desired.
Variations of the penne pasta simple recipe
Chicken or turkey sausage can be substituted for chicken. Broccoli, carrots, peas, or other veggies may be added to the skillet with the chicken.
For a vegetarian version, omit the chicken and increase cream cheese to 1 cup. Top with parmesan cheese and parsley if desired.
Chef’s Tips for penne pasta
There are a few things to keep in mind when cooking penne pasta.
- Be sure to use enough water. The pasta should be covered with at least an inch of water.
- Add a little bit of salt to the water. This will help to flavor the pasta as it cooks.
- Be sure to cook the pasta until it is al dente, or just slightly firm to the bite. Overcooked pasta can be mushy and unappetizing.
- Stir the pasta often while it is cooking. This will help to keep the pasta from sticking together. Cook the chicken until it is no longer pink in the center. Chicken that is not fully cooked can make people sick.
- Place the chicken and the penne pasta in a large serving dish. Pour the sauce over the top, and serve.
Black beans: Black beans are a healthy and delicious addition to any pasta dish. They are high in fiber and protein and can help to boost the nutrient content of your meal. Black beans also have a variety of health benefits, including improving heart health, aiding in weight loss, and reducing the risk of cancer.
Smoked paprika: Smoked paprika gives the pasta a smoky flavor that is unique and delicious. It also adds beautiful red color to the dish.
Black pepper: Black pepper is a great addition to penne pasta recipes. It adds a bit of heat and depth of flavor to the dish. Plus, black pepper is a good source of antioxidants and has been linked to numerous health benefits.
Virgin olive oil: There are many benefits to using virgin olive oil in your pasta recipe. First, it is a healthy fat that can help to improve your cholesterol levels. Additionally, olive oil has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties, which can be beneficial if you are suffering from conditions like arthritis or Crohn’s disease. Finally, olive oil can add a delicious flavor to your pasta dish.
These are the tools that I use to make pasta recipes with chicken and vegetables. It can be made with less or even more equipment, but this is what I prefer.
- large bowl
- oven or Non-stick pan
- baking sheet
Store in an airtight container for up to a week. Do not store with plastic wrap or aluminum foil- instead use a lidded container. This dish does not freeze well, but it can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
How long does penne pasta take to cook?
It will take about 10 minutes to get al dente penne pasta.
How long does penne pasta last in the refrigerator?
Uncooked, it should be stored in an airtight container and lasts for up to 1 month.
How long does penne pasta last in the freezer?
Uncooked, it should be stored in an airtight container and lasts for up to 6 months.
How long does penne pasta last in the pantry?
Uncooked, it should be stored in an airtight container and lasts for up to 1 year.
Can you freeze penne pasta?
Yes! You can freeze cooked or uncooked penne pasta.
You’ll love pasta Recipe
How to make penne pasta recipe with chicken
- 1 pound of chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups penne pasta
- Extra virgin olive oil spray
1. Preheat the oven 180 degree or Heat the pan and add marinate chicken breast
2. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, black beans, tomatoes, green onions, garlic clove, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.
3. Spread the mixture in an even layer on a baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
4. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain well.
5. Serve the pasta with the chicken mixture and any juices that remain.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 583Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 272mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 6gSugar: 1gProtein: 42g