This dish is sure to be a family favourite! It’s easy, delicious and the perfect meal for those busy days. You won’t believe how simple it can be when we share our secret ingredient; shortcut dumplings that make this deliciously comforting food come together in minutes without fail at all thanks to their rich creamy sauce made from tenderising chicken breasts cooked low-and slow with potatoes until they’re just right.
I love my slow cooker. It’s so easy to throw some ingredients in and come back later when you have a big bowl full of delicious comfort food waiting for me, like chicken and dumplings!
The ultimate comfort food is a dish that delivers on taste, texture and tradition. Now, add in your favourite chicken dish and pour on an extra helping of that rich creamy gravy to satisfy any craving! This is what it tastes like when we eat at home with family or friends around a warm meal after church on Sundays…
When you purchase through links on this site we may earn a commission at no extra cost to you. This helps us provide free content for you to enjoy.
This dish has a few minor shortcuts to speed up the process while still providing great taste.
Top Tips for Making homemade chicken and dumplings crock pot
- It is important to use fresh vegetables for the best tasting chicken and dumpling. Pre-freeze your veggies, then when you’re ready to cook them just remove as much of their water content before adding it into a slow cooker full at meal time.
- When I make biscuits, they’re always perfectly cooked after 60 minutes. Some cookers may require an extra 20 or so to be heated through properly but it’s worth the wait as these delicious treats are amazing.
- To really get those biscuits toasty and golden-brown, don’t open up the cooker’s lid too often. The heat from your kitchen will leak out quickly if you do so.
- You may use chicken breasts instead of boneless, skinless thighs if you prefer.
- At this point, the biscuits should have a soft but not doughy texture. They will just be cooked through and ready for stuffing with your favourite ingredients or sauces.
Best cooker for your kitchen
Why does this recipe use cream of chicken soup?
Cream of chicken soup is an ingredient in many recipes because it’s made with fresh vegetables and cream.
It can also be used to make healthy soups like “Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup” that are low in calories, but high in flavor. You could also use it when making Chicken Parmesan, Chicken Pot Pie, or Blackened Creole Shrimp so you don’t have to wait for the sauce to thicken up at the end before serving. It’s very versatile.
How do the biscuits cook in the slow cooker?
Putting a biscuit in a slow cooker doesn’t work – the high-heat environment of a normal kitchen would dry it out and bake it. A dough might stick to the bottom, but that’s about it.
The food has two options when put into a crock pot: they can either be soaked in liquid or they can have evaporation water droplets sprayed on them from their surface. In neither case would there be enough evaporation for doughs to cook through cooking with microwaves.
Can I use dumpling dough from scratch?
Off course you can, but if your dough is too wet it will be hard to fill the dumplings.
How to make Easy chicken and dumplings crock pot
Easy chicken and dumplings crock pot
- 1-1/4 lb boneless chicken
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp Salt (Depend on your taste)
- 1 tbsp Black pepper (Depend on your taste)
- 2 can cream of chicken soup
- 2 chicken stock with a low salt level
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 large carrots
- 250 g frozen peas
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 biscuit (can be refrigerated)
- Place the entire chicken in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker, then cover with onion. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Place chicken in an oven-safe dish, then cover with soup and broth. Top with thyme leaves before popping into a preheated oven for about 3 hours – or until juices run clear when cut on the bone.
- Remove and discard the thyme and bay leaf from the chicken, then shred it using two forks.In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and stir until well combined. Add in the celery, carrots, peas, and garlic. Toss together the chicken mixture and sliced or torn biscuits. At the top, spoon the liquid over any biscuits you'd like.
- Cook the vegetables on high until they are tender, checking them every 30 minutes. It should take about 1 hour to cook through biscuits after you start seeing that they’re becoming golden brown and fluffy in appearance.