Delicious Green bean casserole with cheese
There’s no need to feel left out when enjoying our Green bean casserole with cheese Recipe. I’ve put it all together for you so you can feel like aogy with my dish. This casserole is made with love and features a delicious layer of flavor rich cream cheese. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Who invented green bean casserole?
Dorcas Reilly was the founder of the iconic American dish, theatres. She came up with the now familiar restaurant chain, Dormant Arms, in 1950.
Dorcas was tasked with creating a recipe for a feature that would appear in the Associated Press. She was excited to create the recipe, as she had been creating it for years as a supervisor at the home economy department of a Campbell’s test kitchen.
Why You’ll Love This Green bean casserole with cheese:
This casserole is a delicious way to use up any leftover green beans. It’s also perfect for parties and potlucks.
There’s a layer of creamy cheese in the casserole to give it a rich and cheesy flavor.
You can make this dish ahead of time and freeze the leftovers so you can enjoy it at any time.
This recipe is easy to make and only requires a few simple ingredients.
Cheese: I use cheddar cheese, but you can use any kind of cheese you like. I like cheddar because it has a mild flavor and melts well.
I like to use green onions, but you can use red onions or yellow onions if you prefer. I’m not a big fan of onion flavor in my food and only use them when I have to.
Green Beans: You don’t have to be a fan of green beans to enjoy this recipe. If you prefer not to eat them, feel free to substitute with another vegetable.
Variations of homemade green bean casserole with cheese:
- Some people like to add ham or bacon to their casserole. You can do that too, but it won’t be as cheesy.
- Another variation is to add 1 cup of sour cream to the casserole. You can also use a mixture of half sour cream and half mayonnaise.
- If you prefer to use less cheese, you can replace it with 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese.
Chef’s Tips for healthy green bean casserole:
- Use fresh green beans. They’ll have a better flavor and be more tender.
- You can use frozen green beans, but you may have to change the cooking time. Make sure you drain the liquid out of the beans before cooking them. You can cook them in a pot of water or add them to a steamer basket. The cooking time will be about the same as if you used fresh beans.
- You can also use canned green beans, but they will have less flavor and be more mushy.
- If you don’t like cheese in your casserole, feel free to substitute for something else like sour cream or mayonnaise.
- For best results, use a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Tips for freezing Green bean casserole: The ingredients that go into this recipe should be cooked ahead of time and cooled completely before freezing it for later use. This will help prevent the casserole from becoming watery when you reheat it. You can make the casserole ahead and freeze it. To thaw and reheat, place the casserole in a 350-degree F (175 degrees C) oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until heated through.
If you don’t have time to cook everything ahead of time, you can use frozen green beans instead of fresh ones. Just use about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of cooked green beans for every pound of fresh green beans that you will use. Frozen green beans will take about 15 to 20 minutes longer than fresh ones to cook.
Other Recipes You’ll Love:
Corn casserole recipe with cream cheese
Easy gingerbread cookie recipe
White Sauce Chicken Pasta Bake
Recommended Products for best result
How to make Green bean casserole with cheese
Green bean casserole with cheese
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1-1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese
- Cut the green beans in half. Steam them until they are tender and bright green, but not mushy. Drain the water and set aside. Heat the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until melted. Stir in the flour and cook until golden brown, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk while stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming.
- Add salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add cheese to the saucepan and stir well until melted. Stir in green beans and heat through, but do not boil or it will curdle the milk mixture into cheese curdles (you’ll know what I mean if you make this casserole).
- Serve warm with crusty bread for dipping or with French bread for dipping.
How long to cook green bean casserole?
This green bean casserole recipe is best served hot. It will taste better if you let it sit for about 20 minutes after it has been cooked and before you serve it.
You can also reheat this dish the next day and it will still taste great.
What to do with leftovers?
This green bean casserole tastes best when freshly made, but you can also make this dish ahead of time, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve as a side dish or with a sandwich for lunch or dinner.
How many cans of green beans for green bean casserole?
You can use either fresh or frozen green beans for this green bean casserole. You will need about 1/4 to 1/2 pound of fresh green beans for every pound of frozen green beans that you will use.
What size cans of green beans to use?
Use a 20 ounce can of green beans for every pound of fresh or frozen green beans that you will use.