Chicken fricassee recipe
This Chicken fricassee recipe is rich and creamy, satisfying all of your cravings in one bowl. You’ll be surprised by how easy this fancy sounding meal can be when you only have to follow a few steps. To make the perfect chicken fricassee, start by searing crispy thighs on both sides for some added crunch before adding white wine sauce into the pot and simmering everything until it’s done. Finish off with fresh herbs just before serving so that there are wonderful aromatic flavors along with refreshing textures throughout every.
Key Ingredients for Chicken Fricassee
- Chicken Thighs: Chicken thighs are a great choice for this dish because they stay moist when cooked properly and have enough fat content to keep the chicken from drying out while cooking.
- Frying: Chicken thighs can be fried prior to braising in order to render off some of the excess fat. To fry, use olive oil, butter or ghee and cook until golden on both sides.
- Dry White Wine: Dry white wine paired with the chicken stock gives this dish a nutty flavor and pairs well with pan sauces.
- Heavy Cream: The cream will help thicken the sauce and provide richness. Can be substituted with almond milk or vegetable stock for a vegan option.
Variations on this recipe and other recipes using the same ingredients that you can try out
Chicken fillet is not meaty enough? You can add 2 slices of fish cake instead. Or a spoonful (about 1/5) of pig’s stomach for added chewiness and savory flavor. It does affect the color though, so remember not to make too much changes from this basic recipe.
Want to add some veggies into it? Cut up carrot pieces and finely cut spring onion stalks
Tips for cooking a great chicken fricassee dish
Make sure ingredients are all washed well before use.
- It is best to marinate chicken pieces with mixture of minced garlic, pepper and salt for at least 2 hours before cooking (optional).
- While stir frying the sauce mixture, ensure that flame is set on medium so as to cook meat slowly and avoid overcooking. Watch pot closely to prevent burning over a high heat.
- Add ginger slices and leek into wok when you get back from grocery shopping if you have dinner plans at home for that day.
Other variations of dishes with similar ingredients or flavors that are easy to try out too.
- Substitute chicken with pork, beef, fish or prefer different vegetables like mushrooms? The recipe is flexible and tasty.
- Make a soup dish by adding in the some of the above vegetables into it for another variation.
How to make Quick Chicken fricassee recipe
chicken fricassee recipe
- 1.3 Kg chicken thighs
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium size chopped celery stalk
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 1 medium size chopped carrot
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup fresh chopped parsley
- Wash and pat dry chicken fillet, cut into small cube. Combine the minced garlic and pepper with salt, mix evenly to seasoning for chicken. Use a spoon or knife to spread this mixture evenly over the chicken pieces.
- Pour water in wok to reach 3/4 full mark on pot's side; when water is boiling, add ginger slices or paste and leek slices into it till they are well cooked and tender (about 2 minutes only.). Stir in dark soy sauce after liquid has reduced by half; allow mixture to simmer further till it thickens a little.
- Add in chicken pieces and heat for about 5 minutes till the meat is cooked (but not overcooked). Stir around with sauce mixture till they are evenly coated. Ensure that the flame is set on medium so as to cook the meat slowly and avoid overcooking.
- Chicken Fricassee is ready to be served hot with rice. The dish will taste better when it has cooled a little after being cooked (not lukewarm though, otherwise it will ruin the texture). The color of Chicken Fricassee should be dark brown due to addition of dark soy sauce. But you can slightly adjust the amount of dark soy sauce used according to your own taste. Add in more pepper or chili if you like spicy food.