Beef stroganoff is a dish that usually contains beef, mushrooms, and sour cream. But what if you’re allergic to mushrooms or don’t like them? This recipe for beef stroganoff without mushrooms is still full of flavor and easy to make. You’ll need ground beef, onion, garlic, flour, broth, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, salt, and black pepper.
What is Beef stroganoff?
This is a comfort food dish that most likely originates from Russia. The name “stroganoff” is derived from the Russian word for “beef”. This dish is also known as Russian stroganoff or simply stroganoff. From its origins in mid-19th-century Russia, the dish has spread across Europe and the United States. It is typically served with egg noodles but can be served over rice or potatoes instead.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS Beef stroganoff without mushrooms
- This Beef Stroganoff recipe is a twist on the traditional dish.
- It has a thick cream sauce, which give it a rich flavor.
- The Without mushrooms add a nice texture to the dish.
- I like this vegetarian stroganoff recipe because it is easy and quick to make.
- I hope you enjoy this vegetarian stroganoff recipe. It is a great meal for a cold winter night!
- This recipe is best when made with fresh mushrooms, but frozen, or dried mushrooms may also be used.
INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED for beef stroganoff without mushrooms recipe
Celery stalk: Celery stalk is a good way to thicken beef stroganoff without using mushrooms. It has a mild flavor that goes well with beef and onions.
Vegetable oil: There are a few benefits of using vegetable oil for beef stroganoff without mushrooms. First, vegetable oil is a healthier option than butter or other oils. Second, it can help you to avoid eating mushrooms, which some people don’t enjoy. Finally, it can add some extra flavor and richness to the dish.
Carrots: There are a few benefits to using carrots in beef stroganoff without mushrooms. First, carrots are a great source of fiber, which can help to regulate digestion. Additionally, they are high in beta-carotene, an antioxidant that can help to protect the body from harmful toxins. Lastly, carrots are a good source of vitamin C, which is important for maintaining overall health.
Cloves garlic: Garlic is a great flavor enhancer for beef stroganoff without mushrooms. It adds a depth of flavor that can’t be beaten. Plus, it’s a great source of antioxidants, which can help keep your immune system strong.
Black pepper: There are a few benefits of black pepper for beef stroganoff without mushrooms. Black pepper can help to improve the flavor of the dish, and it can also help to improve the digestion of the beef. Additionally, black pepper is a source of antioxidants, which can help to protect the body against disease.
HOW TO MAKE Beef stroganoff without mushrooms
- In a large skillet, add the beef and cook to desired doneness.
- Once cooked, remove the beef from the pan and set it aside. Add the onion and garlic to the pan and sauté until the onions are tender. Bring the beef and vegetables to a simmer.
- Mix the sour cream and egg yolk, then return the beef to the pan.
- Cook for 2-4 minutes or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over cooked egg noodles (I used linguine).
Variations of the recipe for beef stroganoff without mushroom
1. I used beef strips instead of ground beef.
2. You can add a small handful of frozen peas to the sautéed onions and garlic.
3. you can add a small handful of sliced mushrooms to the sautéed onions and garlic.
4. I didn’t have egg noodles, so I used the same amount of linguine, which was fine.
5. You can also used a tablespoon of cornstarch instead of flour to thicken the sauce when I added the sour cream.
6. I used a whisk instead of a fork to mix the sour cream and flour.
7. I didn’t add salt to the sauce when I added the sour cream and flour.
8. I cut the meat into small pieces instead of ground beef.
9. I used slightly less than half a cup of sour cream.
10. you can also used chicken broth instead of beef broth.
11. If you didn’t have green onions, so I just omitted them, and they were fine.
Chef’s Tips for ground beef stroganoff without mushrooms
Use a cheaper brand of ground beef, like 93% lean. I don’t think it makes that much of a difference in the end product. It also depends on what you are going for. If you want to make stroganoff with mushrooms and be authentic, use the real thing. I used a mixture of ground beef and pork because that’s what I had on hand. It was also cheaper for me to use pork than beef. For the heavy cream, you can substitute half & half or sour cream. For the sour cream, you can use a low-fat or non-fat version. You could also substitute egg yolks for the sour cream. That would make it more like borscht.
TOOLS TO MAKE beef stroganoff
non-stick skillet, flat blade or whisk, medium or large mixing bowl, spatula, knife, cutting board
Store stroganoff in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Q: Do I have to use a non-stick skillet?
A: An uncoated non-stick skillet is best for making stroganoff. If you don’t have one, coat the bottom of the pan with cooking spray before adding any ingredients.
Q Is it okay to substitute other types of beef?
A Yes. You could use ground round instead of stew meat. You could also use ground sirloin instead of top round.
Q What should I serve with stroganoff?
You can serve stroganoff over rice or noodles. You could also serve it with a mixed green salad and some fruit if you like.